We may sound like a broken record, but it isn’t our fault: there are still people out there who think applying sunscreen on their face every day doesn’t apply to them!
Well, breaking news: photoaging, skin cancer, wrinkles, and dark spots don’t discriminate. No matter your gender, age, ethnicity, or skin type, everyone is prone to the same cellular damage caused by UVA/UVB rays. We can’t say it enough!
To refresh your memory, here are 3 main reasons why you should ALWAYS apply a daily dose of SPF:
- UVA rays cause a particular type of damage to the skin called photoaging. This is characterized by a thick, leathery skin look and a breakdown of collagen. Each of these factors contribute to the early onset of fine lines, sagging, and wrinkles.
- Sunscreen helps you maintain an even skin tone by preventing discoloration and dark spots caused by sun damage. This keeps your skin smoother, healthier and younger-looking, for longer!
- Skin cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer in North America. Applying sunscreen every day decreases the risk of skin cancer by 50%, as it reduces the impact of harmful UVB rays.
Finding the right sunscreen can be daunting, but we promise you: there are so many options to choose from and there is a solution for everyone and every skin type. Reapplying throughout the day should never be a hassle, nor should there be a lame excuse not to!
Here are a few of our current SPF favorites, all listed under our BSE Loves tab!
COLORESCIENCE SUNFORGETTABLE® BRUSH-ON SHIELD SPF 50 - $89.20
Powered by EnviroScreen® Technology, this all-powerful, all-mineral Colorscience skin shield provides complete protection in one convenient, on-the-go application—alone or over makeup! It’s convenient, easy-to-apply, portable brush with antimicrobial bristles help protect the brush and maintain freshness. It is a mineral, broad spectrum SPF 50/PA+++, both water and sweat resistant (80 minutes), hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, dermatologist recommended and always 100% chemical-free!
TIZO TIZO3 FACIAL PRIMER SUNSCREEN SPF 40 - $60
TIZO3 is a sheer, tinted facial mineral sunscreen that offers cosmetically elegant sun protection with a matte finish. TIZO3 layers invisibly under makeup to replace one’s foundation primer.
- Physical broad spectrum protection; great for post procedure use
- Gentle enough on ALL skin, even the most sensitive skin
- Photostable, will not degrade in sunlight
- FREE of chemical sunscreen filters, dyes, fragrances, oils and preservatives
- Reef Friendly
ELTAMD UV DAILY TINTED SPF 40 - $68
Serious UV protection and superior hydration join forces in this sheer facial sunscreen. EltaMD UV Daily Tinted has hyaluronic acid to boost moisture retention and diminish fine lines. This lightweight moisturizer with UV protection can be worn alone or under makeup. Choose from tinted and untinted formulas for everyday use!
ELTAMD UV SPORT SPF 50 - $66
For oil-free sun protection with just a touch of colour, our lightly tinted UV Physical is a healthy choice. This chemical-free mineral sunscreen has antioxidants to neutralize free radicals. Water-resistant UV Physical withstands water, humidity and perspiration.
COLORESCIENCE EVEN UP® SPF 50 - $172.50
Brighten, correct and protect your skin with Colorescience® Even Up® Clinical Pigment Perfector. Its patent-pending LUMIRA® complex is clinically tested to diminish the appearance of discoloration and immediately blur stubborn brown spots, while zinc oxide and titanium dioxide deliver chemical-free UV and environmental protection.
COOLA SUNCARE SUN SILK DROPS ORGANIC SUNSCREEN SPF 30 - $62
Drop everything! These COOLA Suncare Organic Sun Silk Drops have revolutionized complexion protection. Formulated with plant-derived Full Spectrum 360° technology, these lightweight drops do it all—provide broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection and help mitigate the effects of HEV light (aka blue light), IR, and pollution. This reef-friendly, nourishing formula can be used solo or blended with your favourite moisturizer or foundation.
Until next time, protect the precious skin you are in!
The BSE Team