If you’re on top of your game with your basic skincare routine, it should work for you year-round. However, as summer awaits and spring is (finally!) around the corner, there are a few important things to keep in mind as the weather gets warmer.
Here are a few of our top spring/summer skincare tips:
- Wear sunscreen. Experts recommend a broad-spectrum sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher on all exposed skin––including (but not limited to) your face, hands, feet, ears, and lips. While you should wear sunscreen all year long, it could be a good idea to reach for a higher SPF in the summertime (think SPF40 or 50).
Our favorite summer SPFs include:
- Lighten up. It’s OK to lighten up your skincare routine during the warmer months! This means you can swap out your cream cleansers or heavy moisturizers for lighter, gel-like consistencies (especially those with oily, breakout-prone skin).
Also, since thick moisturizers can lead to clogged pores, inflammation, and acne, replacing your moisturizer and separate SPF with a combination moisturizer/sunscreen can help keep skin clear. That being said, if you’re going to be in direct sunlight, we still recommend applying a separate sunscreen over your moisturizer.
A gel cleanser by Alastin Skincare that we recommend if you’re looking to lighten up your routine:
ALASTIN SKINCARE GENTLE CLEANSER - $63
A combination moisturizer/sunscreen from Dr. Renaud that we’re loving for the summer months:
DR. RENAUD MOISTURIZING FACE EMULSION WITH BROAD SPF 30 SPECTRUM - $60
- Keep moisturizing! Sweat and humidity do not count as a moisturizer. "Moisturizers reestablish the stratum corneum––the outermost layer of the skin––which protects from harmful pollutants and chemicals and prevents further irritation or dryness," explains Ariel Ostad, a board-certified dermatologist and dermatologic surgeon in New York City.
Hence, a combination moisturizer/SPF with a lightweight texture will help keep that outer layer of skin nourished, without feeling too heavy on your skin or unnecessarily clogging your pores.
BSE’S favorite combination moisturizer/sunscreen for the summer months:
- Time to exfoliate! It’s important not to over-exfoliate, but in the summertime, it can be OK to slough away a bit more frequently––especially if you have oily skin. Some great chemical options, for example, include the ZO Skin Heath Complexion Renewal Pads or the Physiodermie Micropeeling AHA Organic Exfoliant. Just remember: all chemical exfoliants such as AHAs, BHAs and retinols can make skin more photosensitive, so sunscreen application is even more important.
Shop BSE chemical exfoliants:
- Last but not least: treat your skin right! Regardless of the season, the basics continue to apply. Cleanse twice a day, moisturize, protect and treat your concerns with pharmaceutical-grade serums that target issues we might see more frequently in the summer (such as pigmentation or sun spots).
The Skinceuticals C E Ferulic and the Vivier Skin C E Peptides, for example, are two absolutely adored Vitamin C serums for the warmer months. Both help to visibly fade discolorations or diminish fine lines and wrinkles that can be enhanced by the sun, while also providing antioxidant protection to help defend from skin-damaging free radicals.
Stock up on Vitamin C, just before the warmer months!
Until next time, take care of the skin you are in…and enjoy the sunshine!
The BSE Team