Skin texture measures how the surface of your skin feels. While ideal skin texture is soft and smooth, some may experience textured skin as a result of multiple common skin concerns, such as dehydration, clogged pores, and aging skin.
However, there’s no need to panic; skin texture can be easily managed with a proper professional routine. Read on below to learn more about skin texture and effective strategies to achieve a smoother, more youthful glow!
WHAT IS “UNEVEN” SKIN TEXTURE?
Factors that contribute to what we call 'uneven' skin texture include a range of issues, such as acne scars, large pores, fine lines, rough or flaky skin, hyperpigmentation, and more. These textural ‘imperfections’ may result from factors like aging, genetics, or skin conditions, but they are also very common and completely normal.
The best way to address these concerns is to involve professional skincare products and treatments that are tailored to each person’s skin type and specific issue.
HOW CAN YOU IMPROVE YOUR FACIAL SKIN TEXTURE?
When it comes to your face, gentler is always better. The facial skin is typically more sensitivity-prone than the rest of the body due to its thinness, its higher density of sebaceous glands, its constant exposure to environmental factors, and its increased blood flow.
- Exfoliation will help remove excess dead skin cells that build up on the skin's surface. For the face, it is recommended to use a chemical exfoliant–such as an AHA or a BHA–that helps address specific skin concerns. Chemical exfoliants, when used properly, tend to be less abrasive than physical exfoliants.
VIVIER SKIN AHA/BHA EXFOLIATING CREAM
That being said, we love the fine particles of the ZO Exfoliating Polish, which is gentle enough for all skin types and has a unique blend of ultra-fine magnesium crystals, vitamins, and antioxidants that leave the skin feeling so smooth.
- Sunscreen is also essential to smooth skin texture as it prevents UV damage, which accelerates the aging process and degrades the skin's collagen and elastin fibers. Prolonged sun exposure–and the fact that faces are more exposed than the body–can lead to various textural imperfections, such as fine lines, wrinkles, age spots, and roughness. By shielding the skin from these harmful rays, sunscreen preserves its elasticity and reduces the development of unwanted textural changes.
- Keeping your skin adequately hydrated is also essential for improving texture. Using a professional moisturizer helps the skin to appear plumper and more youthful. When your skin is adequately moisturized, it retains water, which can help fill out fine lines and wrinkles, improving the overall texture.
- Professional facial treatments–such as Morpheus 8, IPL, BelaMD, and more–can help improve the appearance of textured skin through microdermabrasion and stimulating collagen production. Results show a significant reduction of fine lines, hyperpigmentation, and congestion.
HOW CAN YOU IMPROVE YOUR BODY’S SKIN TEXTURE?
There are many ways the look and feel of your skin can be treated–inside and out. For example, eating a diverse range of nutrients and drinking enough water can help dehydrated skin look and feel smoother overall.
- Body exfoliation is also recommended to help wash away the layer of dead skin. The skin on your body isn’t as sensitive as the thin skin on your face, so you can reach for body scrubs, exfoliating brushes, or chemically exfoliating cleansers like the Comfort Zone Body Strategist Peel Scrub or the Jan Marini Bioglycolic Resurfacing Body Scrub. However, be cautious not to over-exfoliate, as it can lead to skin irritation; once or twice a week, depending on your skin's sensitivity, should be enough.
- Just like facial skin, regular moisturization is crucial for improving body skin texture. Using a rich and hydrating body moisturizer helps to keep the skin well-hydrated, reducing dryness, roughness, and flakiness. Look for moisturizers with ingredients like hyaluronic acid and ceramides to lock in moisture and maintain skin softness and elasticity.
EMINENCE ORGANICS MONOI AGE CORRECTIVE NIGHT BODY CREAM
ESTHEDERM EXTRA-FIRMING HYDRATING LOTION
- Professional body rejuvenation treatments, such as the Exilis Ultra 360, can target issues like scars, stretch marks, and uneven pigmentation. They work by stimulating collagen production and promoting skin rejuvenation, which over a series of treatments, leaves the skin extra smooth.
Until next time,
The BSE Team