Rachel believes that when women feel beautiful they exude confidence, strength and are, therefore, able to conquer the world! #girlboss. Her passion for makeup started when she was 16 years old -- and blossomed from her ability to empower women, with something as simple as a “bold lip” or “natural look”. Throughout the years as a makeup artist, Rachel built her clientele by establishing strong, loyal and long-term relationships, based on trust with her unique, personalized and consultative approach to help clients achieve their very best look, every day. This is when her passion exploded and her true calling was born… she fell completely #inlove with the beauty industry and its potential. It’s no surprise that in 2015, Rachel founded her own cosmetics brand, Rachel Shultz Cosmétiques.
Rachel understands that in order to achieve a flawless makeup application, the palette (skin), needs to be as healthy as possible. That said, she also knows that in order to have healthy skin, a solid daily routine is an absolute must. Skin care and makeup go hand in hand -- one just doesn’t work without the other.
There’s no magic trick to achieve healthy skin, other than consistent daily care through proper hygiene (cleansing, toning, exfoliation), targeted treatments (serum, ampoule, mask), hydration (lotion, moisturizer, oil), protection (SPF) AND using quality makeup products, which reinforce and encourage healthy skin. This is Rachel’s philosophy and it’s how she built a long-standing and very loyal clientele, throughout the years.
Here are Rachel’s 10 Essential Skin Care Tips, required to look and feel your dewy “best-self” prior to applying makeup. By incorporating these steps in your daily routine, you can achieve that timeless, glowing canvas you've always wanted. These tips will go a long way in making you look and feel your very best self.
- Stay HYDRATED and drink water… she cannot stress this enough. Drinking water encourages the digestive system to flush out toxins from the body, throughout the day, resulting in an improved complexion, for healthy and radiant skin.
- Thoroughly CLEANSE morning and evening. In order to achieve healthy skin and a beautiful makeup application, you need to work at it. It’s a big huge “no no” to fall asleep with your makeup on. And please don’t use soap to clean your skin - it’s really not good for it!
- After cleansing, always BALANCE with a toner. This important step removes any excess dirt (makeup) and helps to rebalance the skin's normal pH level. It also prepares your skin to maximize results by optimizing penetration of the active ingredients, in all products that follow.
- To promote cellular turnover, regeneration and to prepare the perfect makeup application, it’s important to EXFOLIATE your face 1 - 2 x weekly (don’t forget your lips, as they need attention too). This process will optimize your makeup application (primer, foundation, lip gloss and lipstick) and will ensure a perfect complexion throughout the day. Rachel’s tip: after exfoliation, mask for 10 minutes (if you don’t have the time during the day, exfoliate at night and apply a night mask, that you can sleep with) #noexcuses.
- For skin that lacks luminosity, glow and for fine lines & wrinkles, she highly recommends a PLUMPER, containing Hyaluronic Acid (HA), which optimizes hydration, radiance and smoothness. HA is a true game changer for your skin.
- Target specific areas of concern with an appropriate For example, if you have redness, imperfections or dark spots, apply a serum(s) that will work to improve this condition, while promoting hydration. There are a large variety of targeted serums available to suit all areas of concern.
- For the delicate eye area, which is very thin and often sensitive, she recommends using an EYE SERUM according to your concern and objective. Apply with a delicate tapping motion, using your ring finger, around the contour of the eye (avoid lid) morning and evening. Rachel’s #fav eye product is the iS Clinical Youth Eye Complex.
- MOISTURIZE, moisturize, moisturize... every morning and evening, without fail, using a hydrating product adapted to your concerns and objectives… and please don’t forget your neck and décolleté. Remember that a serum is not a finishing product, a moisturizer is always required followed by an SPF (30 is perfect) during the day. Rachel’s tip: “use any excess moisturizer on your hands, as they often get neglected”.
- Your eyes and lips require a PRIMER to ensure that the makeup applied, does not crease and lasts all day -- Rachel wants you looking fresh!1
- Your skin reflects your health (in most cases) and this means making responsible NUTRITION choices, to fuel your body and give you energy to tackle your day. Make sure you get enough sleep, exercise regularly and take a few minutes to meditate if you can. The healthier you are in mind, body and spirit, the better your skin will look!
Rachels bonus tips: Spend time with friends and people you love. Support and encourage each other. Smile and radiate love, there is nothing more beautiful than you -- and being & owning your true self. Your beauty starts from within.
Rachel Shultz (Montreal, Quebec)
PPPPS: Stay tuned for our epic launch contest to win free make-up!!