Did you know that shedding and hair loss are, in fact, not terms that we can use interchangeably? That’s right; they are not the same thing!
In most situations, the loss of a few hair strands shouldn’t call for an alarming response. However, it can be normal to question why hair loss fluctuates across the seasons and it is always helpful to understand why this happens.
Read on below as we break it down for you!
Hair shedding happens to everyone. It is absolutely normal to shed between 50 and 100 hairs a day. The medical term for this condition is telogen effluvium and it is a normal part of the hair growth cycle. Simply put, it’s only “dead” hairs falling out!
When the body sheds significantly more hair than the average 100 per day, a person is considered to have excessive hair shedding. Excessive hair shedding is common in people who’ve experienced a recent load of stress, such as drastic weight loss, giving birth, divorce, mourning, illness, or hormonal changes. This type usually stops on its own.
Hair loss occurs when something physically stops the hair from growing. The medical term for this condition is anagen effluvium. The most common causes of hair loss include:
- Hereditary hair loss
- Compromised immune system
- Certain drugs and treatments (such as chemotherapy)
- Hairstyles that pull tightly on the hair
- Harsh or low-quality hair-care products
- Compulsive hair pulling
If you have this type of hair loss, there are different ways to address a solution:
- For example, people undergoing chemotherapy or radiation treatments will see their hair regrow once the treatment stops.
- People who inherit hereditary hair loss may notice gradual thinning, and opt for regrowth treatments such as the Skinvacious Revive, Redensify, Restore Trio or the 6-step NIOXIN Scalp & Hair Treatment System.
- Those who suffer from trichotillomania (hair-pulling disorder) can always seek professional help to address the underlying stressors causing their bad habits.
- Cheap drugstore products and damaging hairstyles can always be avoided and replaced!
There is no need to despair: there are always ways to help make your hair look healthy and gorgeous.
Fall is a great time to restore your hair to full health and shine before the harsh winter elements that may increase hair shedding or hair loss.
Here are some of our seasonal hair health favorites:
PHYTO LABORATORIES PHYTONOVATHRIX TRAITEMENT ANTICHUTE GLOBAL - $100
NIOXIN SYSTEM KIT 1 - $37.91
MANTA HAIR MANTA BRUSH - $42
Make sure to check out our new hair care section for more top-of-the-line professional products!
Until next time,
The BSE Team