There’s no doubt that as temperatures rise when summer approaches, the heat, humidity, pollution and sun exposure (UVA/UVB) play havoc with our skin. Somehow, with all the excitement and endorphins released, we completely forget about or lack adaptation of our skincare routine. Suddenly, priorities change and as we remove layers, we focus more on what we think is most important (because it’s visible), such as having the perfect manicure, pedicure and tan. Here's a gentle and friendly reminder. Summer is a critical season and there’s never a more important time, than now, to take care of your skin.
Are you starting to notice an increase in hyperpigmentation (brown spots), dry patches, overactive sebaceous glands (excess oiliness), sunburn, redness (irritation) and breakouts (acne, imperfections, blemishes)? These are telltale signs that your routine isn’t active or hasn’t been adapted to the season. For glowing and radiant skin, you have to follow a daily routine which will most likely need adaptation with the change of season.
Here are ten (10) helpful tips to help guide you this summer:
- Consider changing your cleanser and adding in a toner. Sebaceous glands tend to be more active when it’s hot and as a result the skin secretes more oil. As such, changing your cleanser to help manage excess oil production will not only make you feel more comfortable, it will also help to manage enlarged pores (which tend to be more visible). Incorporating a toner will not only balance your pH and ensure your skin is clean and free of impurities, it will also support minimizing shininess and enlarged pores.
- Exfoliate your face and body 2-3x per week. Your skin is working overtime during the summer season to stay healthy, fit and to heal from irritation associated with the elements. Gentle and regular exfoliation helps eliminate dead skin cells, stimulating new and healthy ones, leaving your skin radiant and glowing.
- Hydrate, hydrate and hydrate. You know how you feel when you're outside for hours in the heat and sun? Thirsty! Your skin is no different, so please don’t deprive it. With exposure to heat and sun, your skin becomes dry and dehydrated, which leads to a multitude of issues. Don’t forget to hydrate your face and body with a good moisturizer. Again, you’ll most likely want to adapt your products to a lighter and less rich texture.
- Drink water. It’s not only important to hydrate on the outside, we also need to remember to hydrate on the inside. Hydrating your body, by drinking water throughout the day, supports healthy hydrated skin and will flush out toxins from your body in the heat. So, don’t leave your house without your reusable water bottle!
- Incorporate antioxidants in your routine. Invest in serums, creams and sunscreens that contain powerful antioxidants, such as Vitamin C. Antioxidants reduce inflammation, neutralize free radical damage related to sun exposure and they repair your skin. Vitamin C is excellent because it protects your skin from the elements and environmental damage. It's a great anti-aging vitamin which prevents the development of fine lines and wrinkles and boosts collagen production.
- Take care and choose skin-healthy food options. Antioxidants are not only recommended topically, they are highly effective for healthy and radiant skin when ingested. Incorporating antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables will nourish and protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun, they will reduce inflammation and support collagen production - all essential to maintain beautiful, healthy and glowing skin.
- Do not forget to protect with sunscreen (broad spectrum, minimum SPF 30). This is an absolute must, everyday and especially in the summer. While your face, neck and decollete are important, please don’t forget your hands, legs and all exposed body parts. Both over and regular exposure to UVA/UVB rays is dangerous and damaging. Using sunscreen daily and reapplying throughout the day as required (following usage instructions) is critical to prevent permanent damage, sunburn, ageing, premature ageing and skin cancer, etc.
- For your eyes only, never forget this area. We talk about this alot because it’s important. The delicate eye area requires different attention from the rest of your face and body. Incorporate an eye cream to target your concerns (crow’s feet, dark circles, puffiness, laxity) and wear sunglasses whenever you step into the sun. Fun fact: not only does wearing sunglasses prevent premature aging and ageing of the eye area, they also protect against hyperpigmentation (brown spots) which is known to be triggered by the retina when exposed to UV rays.
- Refresh with an activating facial mist. A delightful addition to your summer routine, a cool facial mist works wonders on your skin in the heat and humidity. It also helps to soothe, reduce inflammation and hydrate to give you that beautiful dewy glow.
- Less is more so go light on makeup. When facing hot and humid weather, let’s face it, it’s hard to keep makeup on your face. Somehow it seems to melt or disappear throughout the day or evening! We all know that feeling, when you think you look like a million bucks and then look into a mirror to see your makeup running down your face. Yikes! Go minimal, your skin loves to breathe when it’s hot. If you absolutely can’t go without a foundation, use one that is breathable or a tinted moisturizer (BB cream or sunscreen) and finish with a light setting powder.
It’s a beautiful time of year! Enjoy, be mindful and adapt your routine to give you that beautiful glow-on you deserve.